The Doctor of Philosophy – Business Administration (PhD-BA) program is an internationally recognized academic research program that aims to increase students’ knowledge and advance their research and management careers.
Equip in-depth knowledge of business administration on the basis of improving and modernizing relevant basic knowledge taught at undergraduate and master’s levels by multi-dimensional impact method. learning centered. According to this method, the program focuses on providing in-depth knowledge of business administration while paying attention to updating and improving modern business administration knowledge such as knowledge and tools to analyze management issues present.
Improve students’ reasoning, analytical and synthesis skills. Developing the capacity to identify and solve business management problems arising in theory and especially in practical activities, thereby improving the ability to work independently and creatively. Improve organizational and practical capacity carry out scientific and practical activities not only in the field of business administration but also in other fields related to their expertise.
After graduation, PhDs can work as highly qualified experts in business management at universities, research institutes, regulatory agencies, key planning and consulting units. books of economic groups, domestic and foreign business organizations.
Outcome standards include practical knowledge and theoretical knowledge; cognitive skills, professional practice skills and communication and behavioral skills; degree of autonomy and personal responsibility in applying knowledge and skills to perform professional tasks of doctoral graduates must reach Level 8 of the Vietnam National Qualification Framework approved at Decision No. 1982/QD-TTg dated October 18, 2016 of the Prime Minister
The structure of the training program includes: Supplementary modules, doctoral-level modules, literature review essays, doctoral seminars, scientific research and doctoral dissertation.
Supplementary modules are intended to support the PhD student to have sufficient knowledge and professional qualifications to study and research the mandatory modules at the doctoral level and carry out research dissertation projects.
The modules at the doctoral level are organized in the form of seminars, in order to help the PhD student improve the level of specialized theory, research methods and the ability to apply research methods. Each PhD student must complete 3-6 modules at the doctoral level which is equivalent to 8-14 credits. The number of modules, names, and contents are decided by the President based on the advice of the University’s Science and Training Council
The literature review essay requires doctoral students to demonstrate the ability to analyze and evaluate domestic and international research works directly related to the research topic, thereby pointing out the research gap. Assessment on PhD student’s literature review essays will be conducted by the first/main supervisor (or independent supervisor) and a scientist who meets the prescribed standards.
- Each PhD student is required to complete 2 doctoral seminars, thereby improving research capacity, updating new knowledge that directly related to the doctoral dissertation topic, to present some of the contents of the doctoral dissertation. Each topic must show the ability to develop into a scientific work that can be published in scientific journals or conferences as prescribed at Point b, Clause 1, Article 26, Point b, Clause 2, and Point b, Clause 3, Article 35.
- The evaluation of doctoral seminars is carried out by a Subcommittee established under the President’s Decision, consisting of 01 head and 02 members. The member of the Doctoral Seminar Assessment Subcommittee must meet the provisions of Clause 3, Article 26, in which the first/main supervisor of PhD student will join as a member.
- Scientific research is a specific and mandatory stage in the research process to carry out the PhD dissertation of the student.
- Scientific research activities of PhD students in the Department can be in the form of scientific activities, scientific research cooperation with lecturers in the Faculty or Department. Each PhD student must present research results before the Department as prescribed.
- Scientific research activities of PhD students at the University level include: proposing research according to regulations, conducting literature review essays and 2 doctoral seminars as prescribed, participating in scientific seminars organized by the University according to regulations, report on research results at the university level after 2 years as prescribed in Appendix 13 and publish at least 2 articles on research results of the dissertation according to regulations.
- The final result of the scientific research process is the complete doctoral disseration that meets the requirements based on regulations, which is recommended by the supervisory team, the Department and the Faculty to defend at the Faculty’s Doctoral Assessment Board and University’s Doctoral Assessment Committee.
Possess a Distinction undergraduate degree or higher or a master degree relevant to the major in which they are applying for the doctoral study. The list of undergraduate and master’s majors that are considered relevant to the doctoral study is specified in Appendix 4. Graduate degrees in majors that not included in this list but with specializations close to the applied majors will be specifically considered by the Admissions Council after application submission
Being the author of 01 article or report related to the intended research field, published in a scientific journal included in the list that recognized by the State Council for Professorship (see Appendix 30), or proceedings of national and international scientific conferences and seminars with ISBN number, within 03 years (36 months) from the date of application registration.
A research proposal (about 3,000 words), including the following core contents:
- Research topic title or research direction of the candidate;
- Recommendation on supervisor that meets the regulation;
- Research rationale/research direction;
- Literature review of published scientific studies on the selected research topic/direction
- Research objectives/Research questions
- Proposed research methodologies
- Proposed contribution of the research
- Brief summary of the goals and contribution of the published articles of the candidate
The candidate’s research proposal must be endorsed by the proposed supervisor. The proposed supervisor must be on the list of scientists who are eligible to supervise PhD students that outlined in the admission announcement.
Having a letter of recommendation that assesses the candidate’s professional quality, capacity and research ability from at least 01 scientist holding the title of professor, associate professor, degree of scientific doctorate or degree of PhD who has participated in professional activities with the candidate and is knowledgeable about the field that the candidate intends to research.
The letter of recommendation must contain the following:
- The context of professional cooperation between the recommender and the candidate;
- Comments and evaluations of the recommender on the candidate’s competence and qualities (ethical qualities, professional capacity, working methods, research ability, professional development prospects …).
Candidates who are Vietnamese citizens must have one of the following diplomas or certificates proving their foreign language capability:
- An undergraduate degree or higher issued by a foreign training institution for a full-time study abroad where English or other foreign ones is the main language in the course of study;
- Undergraduate degree in foreign language majors granted by Vietnamese training institutions;
- TOEFL iBT English certificate of 45 or higher or IELTS Certificate (Academic Test) of 5.0 or higher issued by an internationally recognized testing organization in Vietnam within 2 years (24 months) from the latest date of application submission;
- The candidate who meets the requirements at Point a of this Clause when the language used during the study period is not English; or satisfy the requirements at Point b of this Clause when holding an undergraduate degree in a foreign language other than English; or have foreign language certificates other than English at the equivalent level (see Appendix 5.1) as prescribed at point c of this clause, issued by an international and Vietnamese recognized testing organization within 2 years (24 months) by the date of registration, they must have a certificate of English level 3/6 or higher according to the 6-level foreign language competency framework (see Appendix 5.2) within 2 years (24 months) to the latest date of application submission.
Candidates who are foreign citizens must have one of the following diplomas and certificates:
- An undergraduate degree or a master degree issued by a Vietnamese training institution for full-time study in Vietnam;
- Certificate of Vietnamese language proficiency of minimum Level 4 or higher according to the Vietnamese Language Competency Framework for Foreigners.
- Particularly in case that the candidate is a foreign citizen but registers to conduct doctoral dissertation in English, the provisions of Clause 5 of this Article shall be complied with.
Independent supervisors must fully meet the following criteria:
- Being a Vietnamese citizen or a foreign citizen who meets the conditions specified at Point a, Clause 1, Article 19.
- Having the title of professor, associate professor or having a scientific doctorate or doctorate with expertise relevant to the disseration topic or research field of the PhD student; for those who do not have the title of professor or associate professor, they must have at least 03 years (36 months) of doing scientific research or teaching since the decision to grant a doctorate degree is issued.
- Has or is currently chairing University level scientific and technological projects or higher.
- Being the main author of at least 01 article or scientific report published in a journal indexed in ISI or Scopus database (hereinafter referred to as the ISI – Scopus journal list) or at least one chapter of reference books with international standard ISBN numbers published by foreign publishers; or is the main author of at least 02 foreign-language reports published in the proceedings of an international conference with peer review, or 02 articles published in a peer-reviewed foreign scientific journal in the relevant scientific field of PhD dissertation topic. Specific regulations on types of international journals and conferences can be found in Appendix 17.
- In case of not having the title of professor or associate professor, in addition to meeting the requirements at Point d of this Clause, the supervisor must be the main author of extra 01 more article published in a scientific journal on the ISI – Scopus journal list.
- Having foreign language capability for international scientific research and exchange.
- The independent supervisor must be a lecturer or a permanent researcher of the University or a foreign scientist or Vietnamese scientist working abroad who has a contract of teaching and doing scientific research with the University.
Each PhD student can have upto 02 supervisors, of which:
- The main supervisor must fully meet the criteria specified in Clause 1 of this Article;
- The 2nd supervisor must meet the specified minimum standards
- At least one person must be a permanent lecturer or researcher of the University
- To perform the responsibility and rights as prescribed in Articles 55 and 58 of the Higher Education Law;
- At the same time, a person holding the title of professor is entitled to independently supervise and co-supervise up to 05 PhD students; a person holding the title of associate professor or having a scientific doctorate degree can be independently supervise and co-supervised up to 04 PhD students; doctoral degree holders are independently supervise and co-supervise up to 03 PhD students;
- Do not supervise or co-supervise a new PhD student if within 06 years (72 months) by the time of assignment, there are 02 PhD students whose dissertations have not been approved by the University’s Doctoral Assessment Council, including the re-assessment of the dissertation specified in Clause 6, Article 28 (if any);
- Supervise, support, evaluate, monitor and urge PhD students to perform academic and scientific research tasks;
- Approve the dissertation of the PhD student, recommend the dissertation to be assessed at the Faculty level and the University level if the dissertation has met the requirements as prescribed in Article 25. In the case where the PhD student has two supervisors, both of them need to sign to approve any proposal related to the dissertation of the students.
- Perform other responsibilities and rights as prescribed.
Lecturers teaching doctoral training programs must fully meet the following criteria:
- Being a Vietnamese citizen or a foreign citizen with a transparent identity; have good qualities and morals; have good health according to occupational requirements.
- Having the title of professor, associate professor or have a scientific doctorate or doctorate with expertise relevant to the modules in charge of in the training program.
- Has or is currently chairing University level scientific and technological projects or has been a member in Ministerial-level scientific and technological projects or higher
- Being the main author (independent author or first author, hereinafter referred to as the main author) of at least 02 articles published in specialized scientific journals on the list approved by the The State Council for Professorship (Appendix 30).
- Particularly, lecturers teaching specialized theory must have at least 01 article published in a foreign scientific journal with peer review or 01 report in a foreign language in the proceedings of an international conference with peer review, in the field of science that related to the teaching profession.
Lecturers perform their responsibilities and rights as prescribed in Articles 55 and 58 of the Higher Education Law and related regulations.
Want to learn more about the PhD-BA program? Check it out here
- Each year the University organizes one or more admissions depending on the specific plan of the enrollment year.
- The method of admission is selection through evaluation of application documents and presentation of a research proposals as prescribed in Article 11.
- The doctoral admission scheme is developed every 5 years or when there is a big change in the content of the scheme, ensuring to provide sufficient information on admission methods, admission time, quality assurance for conditions and other necessary information according to the form in Appendix 1.
- At least 3 months before the University organizes the admission examination, the doctoral admission notice is publicly announced on the University’s web portal (http://neu.edu.vn/), the 2nd-level website of Graduate School (http://sdh.neu.edu.vn/) and sent to universities, academies, research institutes, central and local management agencies throughout the country. The admission notice must be consistent with the University’s admission scheme and ensure the contents as specified in Appendix 2.
The list of majors/specialists (hereinafter referred to as majors) for admission and training of the University can be found in Appendix 3. This list may be adjusted and supplemented according to decisions on opening new majors for doctoral training (or major’s withdrawal decision) of the University.
The information you are looking for is not available, do not hesitate to send us a question.